Thursday, June 3, 2010

My Life After Milan

As we approach another weekend, I can't help but reflect on the glorious one just past. It was three nights  full of high hopes, glitter, the most powerful wind machine ever invented and then shoved at the end of a stage, and a young man named Milan.


Yes, I was swept into the glory that was the Eurovision Song Contest 2010.


Every year this event gets a little more magical, and 2010 surpassed all expectations. Who can forget the stage invasion during Spain's performance? Or the lovely lady from Azerbaijan whose dress lit up during her power ballad? Or just how boring it was when someone was actually talented?


Before going into the comp, I had my money on Lithuania...for no particular reason other than the idea of them winning tickled me. I was not let down by their performance, though victory eluded us. I can't help but feel a little cheated, I mean - look at these lyrics:


We've had it pretty tough
But that's ok, we like it rough
We'll settle the score
Survived the reds and 2 world wars
Get up and dance to our Eastern European kinda funk!
 
Testify.
 
However I must admit, though my loyalties to Lithuania were strong, there was one man for me that stole the show...Milan Stanković of Serbia.
 
Representing a previously wartorn country, this androgynous performer had everything a Eurovision talent should have.
 
*A questionable appearance - "is this person good looking, or really bad looking?"
*That ultimately leads to..."hmmm, I'm strangely attracted to it"
*A haircut that looks as if done by a relative. An angry relative
*A completely naff wardrobe
*Questionable back up singers &/or dancers
*Questionable sexual orientation.
 
Yes, Milan had it all. And though he was robbed of the Eurovision title, he will go on in my heart for at least six months.
 
 
 

1 comment:

  1. Nice post. I liked especially the strange attraction to strange looking people. There was once a woman on local news who, when I first saw her, I thought "Ew, she looks weird." After a while, I grew used to her. Then I thought she was hot.

    Then she left the news program.

    ReplyDelete